- Public Works
- Solid Waste & Recycling
Solid Waste & Recycling
- Bath Landfill Safety Requirements (PDF)
- New Policy: Separate Number 1 and Number 2 Plastics.
- If your hauler is putting your recycling in the garbage, call Commissioner Eric Rose at his desk (confidential) at 607-664-2474.
- Household Hazardous Waste Collection Event
- Landfill Hours and Fees (PDF)
- Schedule of Holidays Closed (PDF)
- Earth Day 2023 (PDF)
Turning Trash into Energy
As of January 1, 2015 electronics were no longer acceptable for disposal at landfills in New York State (NYS). This is part of a phased ban of electronics that began in 2011, per the NYS Electronic Equipment Recycling and Reuse Act (PDF).
The County offers an electronics recycling program at all of our solid waste facilities. You will still be able to get rid of your unwanted electronics.
Electronics such as PCs, televisions, printers, DVD players, cellphones, and video game systems. All "Covered Electronic Equipment" per the NYSDEC guideline is accepted. Limit 5 pieces per vehicle. If you have more, please call the landfill to make special arrangements.
Please note: Starting December 1, 2022 TV's and computer monitors are free.
No exchange or removal of items is permitted.
Not accepted: Items such as microwaves, typewriters, toasters, and large copiers are not accepted as part of this program.
When & Where to Bring It
Bring your eligible electronics waste to any of our solid waste facilities during normal business hours.
Eligibility to Participate
Only Steuben County residents can participate. We usually accommodate businesses if possible, but request that you call ahead so we are prepared.
Why You Should Recycle Electronics
U.S. consumers throw away 400 million units of electronic equipment each year. Recycling electronic waste protects human health and the environment by:
- Keeping toxins such as lead, mercury and cadmium from contaminating the air, water and soil
- Conserving natural resources by allowing valuable materials to be reclaimed and reused
And now, it's the law.