Instructions for Completing Certificate of Residence Application
If you have been a resident of New York State for at least one year immediately preceding the date this form is filed, you qualify for the resident tuition rate. If you are a qualified resident and have been a resident of two or more counties during the last six months, you will be required to obtain a Certificate of Residence from each county.
You are required to obtain a Certificate of Residence once per year, and it is valid for one year. Be prepared to produce identification to prove residency (e.g., a valid driver's license).
Deadlines (No exceptions)
- Fall - Certificates issued from July 1st of the current year through March 1st of the subsequent year.
- Spring - Certificates issued from November 15th of the prior year through August 1st of the current year.
- Summer - Certificates issued between April 1st and November 1st current year.
Residency Certificates cannot be issued more than 60 days prior to the semester start date.
To Obtain a Certificate of Residence
- Complete the Certificate of Residence Application (PDF) and sign it before a Notary Public.
- Mail completed form to the Steuben County Finance Department at the address below.
- Note: During the COVID-19 state of emergency forms may be emailed to the finance office using the following email.
- Steuben County will then return the actual Certificate of Residence to the applicable college as indicated on the form
Questions should be directed to Steuben County Finance Department.