Planning & Zoning Assistance
A goal of the Steuben County Planning Department is to increase the capacity of Local Governments to advance the sound, orderly, and sustainable economic and physical development of their communities and the county. To do this, we provide technical assistance and training to local boards and officials and review certain local actions as required by New York State General Municipal Law Section 239-m.
General Municipal Law Section 239
Actions requiring referral include new zoning laws, amendments to existing zoning laws, variance requests, special use permits, and site plan reviews, if the property is located within five hundred (500) feet of a state or county road, a municipal boundary, or certain other criteria.
- General Municipal Law Sections 239.l and m (PDF)
- General Municipal Law 239-M Guidance Document (PDF)
- 239 Referral Form (PDF)
This form is used by municipalities to refer actions to the County.
New York State law now permits municipalities and County Planning Agencies to enter into agreements that exempt certain actions from the County review procedure. If your municipality is interested in discussing the exemption option, please email the Planning Department.
Email the Planning Department for training information, upcoming courses, conferences, and online educational opportunities or to be placed on our training announcements email list.
Status of Local Planning in Steuben County
- Comprehensive Plans: see a map where shaded municipalities have completed a comprehensive plan (JPG).
- Planning Boards: see a map where shaded municipalities have adopted a Planning Board (JPG).
- Local Zoning: learn about municipalities in Steuben County that have adopted zoning.
- Subdivision Regulations: see a map where shaded municipalities have completed subdivision regulations (JPG).
- Read about the Planning Board and Zoning Board of Appeal Self-Study Training Course (PDF).
- Land Use Regulations: see a map indicating land use regulation types in Steuben County (PDF).