County Clerk / County DMV Offices
The County Clerk is a constitutional officer, elected for a four-year term. The County Clerk has a constitutional duty to serve as Clerk of the State Supreme Court in the County, and a statutory duty to serve as Clerk of the County Court. As Clerk of the Supreme and County Courts, the County Clerk provides files, records, and indexes of papers in legal actions and proceedings. The County Clerk also maintains judgment dockets, and records of monies paid or ordered to be paid into Court. In addition to Court duties, various statutes require that the Clerk's office: record deeds, mortgages, assignments, and liens; files maps, pistol permits, financing statements, and Federal tax liens; qualifies notary public appointments in the County; files oaths of office of County officials; issues motor vehicle registrations and licenses. Files kept by the office are permanent and are used continually by attorneys and the public in checking real estate titles, criminal convictions, and other legal records. The expenses of the Clerk as clerk of the courts are partially funded by the State under the Unified Court Budget. The costs for other services performed by the Clerk's Office are, in part, charged to the individual user, who pays a fee for recording and filing papers. In addition, revenue is received from mortgage tax fees, criminal fees, motor vehicle fees, casual sales tax, and deed and transfer tax fees.
- For questions and answers regarding NYS Pistol Permit Recertification please visit the New York State Police firearms page.
- Pistol Permit applications purchased prior to September 1, 2022, are no longer valid and cannot be accepted.
- Pistol permit applicants please note: you must appear at the County Clerk Office (Monday through Friday 8:30 am to 5 pm) to pick up a Steuben County Pistol Permit Application ($10 fee) We cannot accept any other Permit Application (or photocopies).
Effective April 15, 2014
The multi-part RP-5217 is no longer accepted.
View the Success 5217 (PDF) to find out more on how to be successful with the electronic RP-5217 requirements.
The Steuben County Clerk's Office accepts PDF format RP5217 tax forms with deed recordings. For instructions please visit the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance page.
As a reminder, please provide a postage-paid return envelope for the return of the document to the listed recipient.
Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.
Notice - Effective Immediately
In order to process motions, petitions, and answer/reply papers to motions/petitions, the Original and at least one full copy must be submitted. Originals are filed and retained in the office of the County Clerk, and the Court will need a full copy of any motions to complete the action you are seeking. Original ex parte motions will be forwarded to the Court. Please take note they will not be filed until returned to the County Clerk's Office. Please provide a postage-paid return envelope for copies you wish to have returned to you. Extra copies received without a postage-paid envelope will be disregarded. As a reminder, the Steuben County Clerk's Office scans all documents that are filed, and colored paper other than yellow is not always legible after scanning. Colored ink stamps or markers are also problematic for scanning purposes. Backers and colored attachments to the top of documents are removed and disregarded. Please do not assemble documents with binding that cannot be removed and replaced. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. April 17, 2013
- For information on obtaining copies of Birth, Death, and Marriage Certificates please contact the municipality where they occurred. View the Steuben County Directory (PDF).
- For Traffic Tickets contact the District Attorney's Office.
- For Back Taxes and Payment Arrangements please contact the Finance Office.